Guides & Articles
Below you’ll find details of some the publications & articles currently available from Employment Law Clinic; for the latest employment law news see our news page. Returning visitors might also notice the absence of the ‘Popular Searches’ page – we’ve changed the format of the site, and many of the subjects are now covered in the pages listed below.
- Holiday Pay & Sick Leave – Current case law on the requirements necessary for employees to carry forward leave, considering Pereda, Fraser, Larner, and the latest addition, Hair Division v Macmillan
- Disciplinary Action Flowchart – a step-by-step guide to disciplinary procedures, with guidance notes for each step – click on the stage in question for more information about it.
- Annual Leave Calculator – if you have staff that work variable hours, calculating the value of a week’s annual leave can be complicated. This tool allows employers to calculate annual leave entitlements for employees on variable working patterns
- Employers guide to TUPE – covering the actions that any employer buying, selling, or transferring a business needs to cover.
- Employment Rights & Right to Claim Unfair Dismissal – find out about the employment rights for staff with less than 12 months service.
- Redundancy – guidance for employers contemplating redundancy.
- Automatically Unfair Dismissal – a list of grounds for dismissal which would be automatically unfair, and available to staff regardless of length of service.
- Final Warnings could be Grounds for Unfair Dismissal – employees have a high threshold test to meet, but unless justified, a final warning could result in a subsequent dismissal found to be unfair.
- Problems with Staff Having too Much Sick Leave – guidance for employers dealing with staff who are frequently absent.
- Unfair Dismissal – guide to unfair dismissal, and how the law sees this.
- Notice Periods – notice periods for ending employment, and how to deal with the issues that may arise.
- Minimum Wage, October 2009 Revisions – a brief reminder of the changes that came into force on 1 October 2009 (pdf).
- Introduction to ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary & Grievance Procedures – a copy of a published article to explain the changes to the Disciplinary & Grievance Procedures that applied from April 2009 (pdf).
- Index to employment laws – a growing index of extracts covering the most popular areas of employment law.
More of our articles can be found on Ross Martin Tax Consultancy.
If there is an area of employment law you think we should be produce an article for, let us know and we’ll do our best to write something.