Regulation 16, Working Time Regulations 1998
16 Payment in respect of periods of leave
(1) A worker is entitled to be paid in respect of any period of annual leave to which he is entitled under regulation 13 and regulation 13A, at the rate of a week’s pay in respect of each week of leave.
(2) Sections 221 to 224 of the 1996 Act shall apply for the purpose of determining the amount of a week’s pay for the purposes of this regulation, subject to the modifications set out in paragraph (3).
(3) The provisions referred to in paragraph (2) shall apply—
(a) as if references to the employee were references to the worker;
(b) as if references to the employee’s contract of employment were references to the worker’s contract;
(c) as if the calculation date were the first day of the period of leave in question; and
(d) as if the references to sections 227 and 228 did not apply.
(e) as if, in the case of the entitlement under Regulation 13, a worker with normal working hours whose remuneration includes commission or similar payment shall be deemed to have remuneration which varies with the amount of work done for the purpose of section 221.
(4) A right to payment under paragraph (1) does not affect any right of a worker to remuneration under his contract (“contractual remuneration”).
(5) Any contractual remuneration paid to a worker in respect of a period of leave goes towards discharging any liability of the employer to make payments under this regulation in respect of that period; and, conversely, any payment of remuneration under this regulation in respect of a period goes towards discharging any liability of the employer to pay contractual remuneration in respect of that period.
Paragraph (3)(e) only applies to annual leave provided by Regulation 13 (20 days), not the further leave provided by Regulation 13A (8 days), or any further contractual time-off provided.